1. Attempt to balance the budget were so successful that analysts projecting a ----- of $2 million over four years.
2. If you have any information regarding the identity of the man ----- left his car parked in the lot overnight, please contact the security department.
3. Experience suggests that small, integrated organizations can operate ----- in critical situations than large firm can.
B. more efficient
D. more efficiently
4. After ten years spent trying ----- to become the number-one west coast service provider, the corporation finally succeeded.
5. Many oil companies are now making alternative energy ----- in an effort to remain competitive in future energy markets.
6. The newspaper identified the journalist ----- wrote the anonymous editorial predicting a stock market crash.
7. The government agency looks control of the oil industry in a desperate attempt to ----- the wildly fluctuating market prices.
9. Out of all the people ---- to speak at the meeting, only one advocated changing the firm’s current financial policies.
B. were choosing
D. had chosen
10. ---- how much the price of our shares rises, we may be able to offer shareholders a larger return on their investments.
A. Depending on
B. Resulting from
C. Leading to
D. Relying on
11. After much deliberation, the bank clerk ----- agreed to offer Ms. Johnson a loan in spite of her poor credit history.
12. The writing in the article must be as ----- as possible so that all readers can understand the complex issue.
13. The ----- of another sudden stock market crash keeps many middle-class citizens from investigating their money.
14. Ms. McMahon would like to speak with ----- attended the annual accounting seminar in Phoenix last weekend.
15. The repairperson could not find the specific problem ----- had caused the computer to crash.
16. According to the sales director, Ms. Elms is ----- to one of our subsidiaries to collaborate with its sales team.
17. We need to conduct extensive background research on the firms from ----- we received bids.
18. The director decided to delegate some of the work to a subcontractor after his employees ----- help with the project.
19. Employees ----- to transfer to the new branch office will receive reimbursements for all moving expense, as well as a bonus.
20. Support structure under the Main St Bridge has corroded ----- faster than the bridge’s designer had predicted.
A. a lot
B. so too
21. The team manager charged Michelle Palamides with the task of ----- the department’s webpage for the company’s new intranet.
C. to design
22. Dr. Calerin’s efforts could lead to the development of a treatment for cancer, but they have received ----- media attention.
B. a few
23. Ms. Arroya says that when workshop ----- begins to slow down, it may be time to hire more workers.
24. An investigation by the committee uncovered ----- instances in which the institution’s resources had been misused.
25. Ms. Hartfield will make an excellent executive because, when confronted with a problem, she knows ----- what course of action to take.
26. The advertisement for the security guard position says that applicants must be able to remain ----- for six hours straight.
27. It will take at least two weeks for the board members to review ----- work on the budget proposals.
28. Surprisingly, the nation’s high rate of unemployment has only affected ----- stock prices in the technology market so far.
A. a little
B. a few
C. most of
D. much of
29. Though they are not possess the best technology, never underestimate the ----- of a determined manager working with motivated staff members.
30. The management believes that ----- all of the damaged goods will cost more than hiring a contractor to repair them.
31. To reduce confusion and inefficiency, ----- office supplies should now be ordered through the new online system.
C. most of
32. Once we begin ----- these files according to their content and date, our computer network drive will seem less confusing.
33. This position requires someone who is ----- of making complex decisions in a high-pressure environment.
34. Ms. Adams is hoping that the committee officers will consider ----- request for a new computer system soon.
35. Contests that promise cash prizes for winners are often used by employer to ----- their workers.
36. Once Mr. Sato finishes showing the ----- around the facility, the interview process will begin.
37. The chapter on reimbursements in the employee handbook advises ----- to report any travel expenses to the financial department.
38. You are cordially invited to a formal ----- being held in honor of the company’s new vice president.
39. Team members must understand that the project they have ----- will demand all of their time and energy.
40. Anyone who wishes to join the senior marketing team should be ----- that we work longer hours than most other members of the firm.